Saturday, June 23, 2012

Memories of Steve

Have you ever had someone who made an impact on your life, even though they weren't a big part of it? I have, and he passed away yesterday. 
He was very kind, very honest, very giving, and very funny in his own way. It's hard to believe someone can be gone so quickly. 
Steve wasn't a huge part of my life, but for some reason or another, he is someone I will always remember. He was a very patient teacher, a kindhearted boss, and just a good person. He gave me a job when I was maybe 19 or so years old. And I stayed with him until I was almost 21. To tell you the truth, I might not have ever left his shop if I hadn't been getting married and moving away. I still always joke with Sam and say, "don't tempt me to move back to Tennessee, I know I've got a job with Steve if I need one!" 
It was just one of those chapters in life you didn't want to see end. Granted, I was just the girl who steamed the clothes, ran the machine every once in awhile and messed up a countless number of stockings, Steve always made me feel like I was doing something right. It may not have seemed like much to the people around me, but I was working at Steve's shop at a very crucial time in my life. I was making a lot of life's decisions and somehow Steve made a way of making life sound so simple. It's exactly what I needed.
I'm pretty sure Steve loved his wife Terrie, more than most men love their wives. There wasn't a time he didn't talk about her without a huge smile crossing his face. She was the light of his life. He would say her name like she was the funniest woman on earth. Their love had a lasting impression on Sam and my marriage, because when Steve talked about how they were celebrating their "first date" anniversary, I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. So I was determined that Sam and I were also going to celebrate our first date anniversary, like they did.
After I got married and moved away, there wasn't a time I came back to visit Cleveland and didn't stop by to say hi to Steve. And the times I didn't get to, it never failed, I would complain on the way home about how I didn't stop at the shop while I was in town. I even brought in Jude as a newborn so he could meet him for the first time. 
There are very few people in life, that make a lasting impression on our memories and Steve Kirkpatrick, was definitely one of them. I am so brokenhearted for his wife, children, family and friends. But I am so happy we get to celebrate the awesome life he lived. He will be so greatly missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment