Friday, May 25, 2012

Felt Flower Pillow


Is this pillow cute or what! 
If your willing to take on a bit of a project, then this DIY is definitely worth the effort. And makes for a fun-project(to do in front of the TV while watching The Bachelorette)-kind-of-craft.
Back story on the orange pillow. I have had this orange pillow since Sam and I first got married, and I have literally NEVER had anywhere to put it. Except that one time I thought it was a cute idea to have orange sheets...and that was a horrible, horrible idea. Its been sitting on random couches and chairs ever since trying to find a home, but never really ever fitting in. So its been in the linen closet for a few years, and now it finally has a purpose!

 What you'll need:
 Throw pillow of your choice
1 yard of felt
Scissors
Hot glue OR Fabric glue (Hot glue worked great, just had a few battle scars!)
Sewing pins
1 cute button

 1. Make a stencil for each petal. 4 sizes, mine started at approx. 6 inches and I made each one a little bit smaller than the first. You will use these to trace onto the felt and cut out the petals. I cut out 18 of the largest, 14 of the next size, 12 of the next and 8 of the last. Of course I didn't use them all, I just wanted to have extras in case.

2. Once all your felt petals are cut out, you can begin to glue them onto the pillow. 
If you use fabric glue you can glue the petal to the pillow, putting the pin right in to keep it in place until the glue is set. I folded the bottom of the petal slightly in and then glued it to get a dimensional look. 
*If using hot glue, you will want to place the pin slightly above or beside the actual glue spots because once the hot glue dried, it was VERY difficult to remove the pins. (See second picture below) 

3. Once you are finished with your first layer, move onto the next, removing all pins and making sure all glue is set. 

4. Once all layers are in place, the last layer I did a little differently. I laid the last layer flat, to hide all imperfections of previous layers. It made the flower look full, with no bare spots. 

5. Add your button of choice to the middle with hot glue and your done! 

Take a seat and enjoy your new pillow, or better yet, make another one for a friend!
*As always, you can find my items on my Etsy shop if your interested in just buying it and saving yourself some trouble. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the great tutorial and step by step pictures. It is just gorgeous. I can't wait to make a couple for my neice who just got her first apt!

    ReplyDelete