Monday, May 14, 2012

Cheap Fun & My Soapbox

Sam and I have never been ones to spend a lot of money on toys for our kids. We don't buy them the latest kid gadgets, and we're not particularly fond of video game type toys. Jude does not go without by any means, we just don't like wasting money. Of course, we let Jude go wild in the dollar section! :) He's been very blessed by friends and family who would buy him the moon, and has a toy room that is so full, it needs a good purging. Because of this, I am always on the lookout for some good homemade, DIY kids toys and ideas.
To tell you the truth, this post was going to be solely on some cheap DIY toys and ideas, but I think my mind is starting to run in a different direction, bear with me. Because in all reality, this is why I started this blog, this is what I believe in most. I believe in having a family, and doing it on a budget. Cue soapbox.
It's important for people to know that having kids doesn't mean buying the most expensive gadgets, it means dedicating time and energy, and showing unconditional love. And that's why I believe you can have kids, and do it cheap. Too many people put emphasis on the financial aspect of having a family. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that having adequate finances are vital, but I also know that my husbands paycheck will never determine the way we conduct our family. I believe in a much bigger, stronger, powerful God than that. And if you don't believe me, or think that's very cliche, step out, just a little bit on faith and he'll show you just what he can do. Sometimes it not about God supplying the means for everything you want, its about him showing you to want different things.
Back to my original thoughts. 
I have recently come across some ideas that I thought were fantastic crafts you could do FOR and WITH your kids! Check out this website, modernparentsmessykids.com. They had some really great ideas of toys you could build. Jude and I tried the ocean in a bottle. 


And if your on Pinterest, you can search DIY Kids Toys and get a whole bunch of ideas! Or you can search my Kids Craft board on Pinterest. Here are some that I found:



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment