Monday, March 5, 2012

DIY of the week: Wall Planters

Sam and I (usually) try and do a quick DIY craft on Sundays after church..today I had my heart set on a planter for Jude and I to grow some flowers and herbs. Of course as usual, Sam did the construction and I did the fun part. I got the idea off Pinterest (of course), you can find the full tutorial here. It was fun, easy and cheap. The wood we got from a factory that was giving away old weathered pallets (you can find these easily on Craigslist) for free. The mason jars came from the thrift store for a maximum of a buck each and the metal rings were at Home Depot, 2 for $2.50. The seeds I decided to get 6 different packs of different flowers..they were $1 each but you could use one pack on all six jars if you wanted to. Long story short: we took the pallet apart and cut our wood to size, attached the metal tube clamps to the wood with a drill, tightened the mason jars on (I used smaller jars, but big ones would be cool too), and added the soil with a cup. Granted they will look way cooler when we have flowers and herbs blooming, but we are happy with the outcome. And Jude helped me by poking his finger repeatedly in the dirt (and then sticking it in his mouth...yum). Now it will be by the grace of God if these things sprout :) I do NOT have a green thumb, but I thought it would be something fun for Jude and me to do, to welcome in the Spring. And of course look awesome hanging on the kitchen wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment